Week 9: Your Nutrient Needs
- Q. Do I need to take supplements if I eat healthy?
- A. Ideally you would be taking a high quality multivitamin and fish oil every day. Even if following a healthy diet, it is unlikely you can meet all of your vitamin and mineral needs through food alone due to the depletion of nutrient dense top soil to grow our food. To have an optimally functioning metabolism, you need to meet your daily nutrient needs—taking a multi vitamin daily can be a great step toward your nutrient goal.
- Q. Why do I need to take a fish oil if I eat fish?
- A. You need more omegas than fish can provide you. You need 2,000-4,000mg of omegas per day and this would mean a LOT of fish. It’s not good to eat this much fish due to mercury content. Plus, it’s not very realistic.
- Q. What are macros?
- A. Macronutrients are the “categories” of foods that our calories come from, namely protein, carbohydrates and fat.